- This article includes information that was originally written by Erick Ramirez on DataStax Community
DBeaver is a universal database management tool for everyone who needs to work with data in a professional way. With DBeaver you are able to manipulate with your data like in a regular spreadsheet, create analytical reports based on records from different data storages, export information in an appropriate format.
- You should have an Astra account
- You should Create an Astra Database
- You should Have an Astra Token
- You should Download your Secure Connect Bundle
This article assumes you have installed DBeaver Community Edition on your laptop or PC. It was written for version 21.2.0 on MacOS but it should also work for the Windows version.
Installation and Setup¶
✅ Step 1: JDBC Driver¶
Download the JDBC driver from the DataStax website:
- Go to https://downloads.datastax.com/#odbc-jdbc-drivers.
- Select Simba JDBC Driver for Apache Cassandra.
- Select JDBC 4.2.
- Read the license terms and accept it (click the checkbox).
- Hit the blue Download button.
- Once the download completes, unzip the downloaded file.
✅ Step 2: Import Driver¶
- Go to the Driver Manager.
- Click the New button.
- In the Libraries tab, click the Add File button.
- Locate the directory where you unzipped the driver download and add the
- Click the Find Class button which should identify the driver class as
In the Settings tab, set the following:
- Driver Type:
Click the OK button to save the driver
At this point, you should see Astra DB as one of the drivers on the list:
✅ Step 3: Create New Connection¶
Connect to your Astra DB in DBeaver:
- Open the New Database Connection dialog box.
- Select Astra DB from the list of drivers.
- In the Main tab, set the JDBC URL to:
jdbc:cassandra://;AuthMech=2;TunableConsistency=6;SecureConnectionBundlePath=/path/to/secure-connect-dbeaver.zipNote That you will need to specify the full path to your secure bundle.
- In the Username field, enter the string
In the Password field, paste the value of the token you created in the Prerequisites section above. The token looks like
Click on the Connection details button
- In Connection name field, give your DB connection a name:
- Click the Finish button
- Click on the Test Connection button to confirm that the driver configuration is working:
✅ Step 4: Final Test¶
Connect to your Astra DB. If the connection was successful, you should be able to explore the keyspaces and tables in your DB on the left-hand side of the UI.
Here's an example output: